Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Big holes in wall

Visiting Guest

03-08-04, 11:51 AM   #1  
Jannie
Big holes in wall

My son knocked a big hole in the wall. It is about 6 to 7 inches across. He tried to fix it before I got home. He said he tried to pull the wall back to the front but it kept breaking off, so he went to the garage and got some patching plaster and just filled it in. He does not know if it is sheetrock or what. It looks terrible. What should we do?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-08-04, 06:51 PM   #2  
boardslinger
If he put a hole in it. My guess is it's drywall. Patch it. There are a number of ways you can do this. Put some backer behind the hole and screw a piece of rock into the hole. Or something called a California hot patch. Little more difficult to explain. Have seen it done and done it myself, just using joint compound and paper tape. Couldn't tell after it was done. Pick one and let us know and we will give you more detailed info. The easyest, would be backer behind hole.

KS

03-08-04, 07:14 PM   #3  
To add a little to boardslingers suggestion. I would knock out what was already done. Square up the hole a little. Screw a piece of backer board in the hole(like boardslinger suggested) and screw the correct size drywall patch on that. Tape the joints and finish smooth. Good luck.

03-08-04, 08:45 PM   #4  
And did you spank the boy and send him to bed with no dinner?

Visiting Guest

03-09-04, 06:58 AM   #5  
Jannie
Big Hole in Wall

But, what do we do with the patching plaster that is already there? It has dried solid and does not look like it is going to fall out any time soon. It is a different texture than the wall is, too.

KS

03-10-04, 02:57 PM   #6  
Let your son knock it out again. What texture do you have??

Search this Thread