Textured wall

Old 03-17-04, 12:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Textured wall

I just bought a new house and would like to add texture to the existing plaster walls. I did a few repairs on cracks but the patch continues to show despite I have made everything flush.

I have gone to home depot regarding the commercial material used to spray texture but they are not very helpful. the sales rep tried to sell me a one gallon texture and rollers to do it.

Can someone please route me to the right direction. Name of product that I should buy and where? Im a mechanic by trade and I have an air compressor.

Thanks in advanced
Your stressed out first time buyer with only mechanical skills.
Old 03-18-04, 06:23 AM
awesomedell's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,351
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What I'd recommend to use for the texture is drywall mud, (joint compound) If can be applied in many ways, I use a hopper gun, which is run off your compressor. These can be bought or for a one time thing I'd rent one, usually runs $15-$25 a day from a rental yard or hardware store, I know Westlakes Hardware in this area all have tool rental depts, which have these.

I would probably use a product called Gardz, this is a primer/sealer which you can roll, spray or brush on first. For your mud, if you buy it by the box, figure 1 box will cover about 1000 s/f. You will need a couple of 5 gal buckets, one for mixing & one for water to thin with & wash tools. I use a 1/2" drive drill & a mixer paddle to mix the mud with, add the water a little at a time until you have a consistency like pancake batter. You can play around with air pressure, & nozzle tip size until you get a spray pattern you like, use a piece of scrap drywall or plywood, or even cardboard to spray a few test shots until you're comfortable with it. You can also add latex primer to the mud to help lighten up the spray.

After you sray your wall, wait about 15-20 mins & then take a wide drywall knife or a window squeege & knock down the texture.

If you don't like the looks of what you spray on the wall, scrape it off before the mud dries & try again. If you allow it to dry & don't like it, you'll have to mist it with water & scrape, then sand.

Hope that helps guy.
Old 03-26-04, 03:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
When you say you want to add texture, do you mean like an old italian plaster wall, a southwestern stucco look, or just a knock down (they call it splatter-drag in Texas) to cover up the patches?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: