Applying new plaster

Old 03-18-04, 05:46 PM
mskippym
Visiting Guest
Applying new plaster

Hello,
I am applying new plaster to an area that I removed a door frame. The plaster application is going well. The only thing I have noticed are micro cracks in the new plaster. Nothing appears loose.
The system I followed was the same as was done originally in the house.
It is sheetrock, then a layer of mortar ( 1/8" - 1/4"). Then 1/8" of plaster, one coat.
I have followed the mixing and application instruction from USG.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-04, 08:38 PM
Hello Mike & welcome to the forums.

I'm a drywaller, really need a plaster pro but I would think you either need to work it more with the smoothing brush or else your mix is too loose, (watery)

How about it plasterers?

Old 03-18-04, 08:52 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
It could be that Dell, it could also be that it was to cold in the area. Plaster needs to be at a temp of 60 degrees + to cure properly. Did you check for air gaps and leaks before plastering? Although drywall mud and plaster are 2 completely different types of products, they are mixed the same way, the both should have a creamy consistancy when ready for the finish coat. Too loose or too dry will give you the crack you are describing.

Old 03-19-04, 01:57 PM
mskippym
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info.
I actually was trying this last fall when it was warmer. I got some pointers from my place of purchase, but they never told me about a smoothing brush. I have been using a retangular trowel (12 or 14") as my areas are long, but narrow (6-8"). I will invest in a brush before I finish the top of the door arch.
I was reading, in quite detail, about the consistency, which was creamy, let it stand for 5 minutes (there was some technical term for this). It goes on well, but after about 15-20 minutes it starts to get hard to work with. The place also suggested I use a bonding adhesive (white, watery) between the mortar and plaster application which I tried. Maybe I shouldn't? They seem very knowledgable, I just haven't gotten out there to talk to them again.
I painted over the section I did last fall and the cracks do not show through and have not caused any paint cracking. Maybe I "played" with the plaster too much (going over it a number of times trying to get it smooth) with the trowel.
Again, thanks for the quick response.

Old 03-21-04, 05:11 PM
Like I said, not a plsterman, but I know they use the smoothing brush, but if the paint covered it up & isn't cracking, I'd fall back on good ole rule #1 if it ain't broke, why fix it?