Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

using a crows foot brush

Visiting Guest

04-01-04, 06:54 AM   #1  
hrauto
using a crows foot brush

Need help on how to use a single or double crows foot brush to texture my ceiling. I've seen the popcorn spray on and don't like it. want something different and was thinking of "stomping" the ceiling, but can't find any good info on websites. Any help?

Sponsored Links

MO

04-01-04, 07:12 AM   #2  
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Found this for you from a google searchtexturing methods Should give you some idea.

Coops can probably give more first hand knowledge of the process. He'll be around later today or this evening most likely.

Personally I do spray & knock-down or splatter shot on thru a hopper gun for customers who request textured ceilings. Me personally I like a slick finished ceiling. JMO Hope that helps, good luck!

KS

04-02-04, 05:47 AM   #3  
Buy one of those concrete pans from the home depot. In the concrete department. They look like big kitty litter boxes. Mix your mud medium loose and pour it into the pan. Dip your crows foot into the mud and then stomp it on your ceiling. Pretty easy. I like to knock it down. If you want wait about 15 min then go back and knock down with a twelve inch knife.

MO

04-04-04, 06:52 AM   #4  
I've done the stomp thing with a sponge, never done the knock-down afterwards. Good tip Coops, have to keep that in mind.

Visiting Guest

04-06-04, 09:59 AM   #5  
hrauto
Is there any sort of twisting method used with the crows foot? Any pattern to follow or pattern to avoid? I've done a swirl method using a sponge before, but wondered about the advantages/disadvantages to the crows foot, single and double. I'm working on a pretty large ceiling 20x30 ft. Thanks for the pointers so far. I'm already enlightened.

KS

04-06-04, 03:33 PM   #6  
Definitely change up the direction of the brush. Last thing you want is a bunch of tracks. I also overlap a little.

Visiting Guest

05-01-04, 03:31 PM   #7  
DE3ROX
Crows foot question..

What is the mix ratio for the mud? How much do you water it down?
And I have heard that you apply the mud with a roller then stomp it. Or do you just use the crows foot brush to apply?

Also what is the best way to prep the walls (removing dust) prior to priming and painting? And do any of you have a recomended primer that you use?
I have seen the USG Sheetrock "first coat" primer at Menards and was thinking of going that route.

Thanks in advance. This site "ROX"

KS

05-02-04, 04:44 PM   #8  
Not sure about exact ratio but mix it medium loose. Not so loose that it pours but can easily be applied to the brush. I dont use a roller, I just dip the brush in the mud and apply to ceiling. cuts out one step. As far as wall prep, yes, the walls should be vac'd or wiped down with a wet cloth to remove dust. Not sure of the best primer. Go around after the primer is on and look for imperfections and repair then. Good luck.

Visiting Guest

05-03-04, 05:11 AM   #9  
DE3ROX
Thanks for your reply. I'll do what you suggested.

BTW the guy thats doing it (finishing the mudding) said I did a great job for my first attempt at a project of this size. He only found one messed up piece of tape!!

Visiting Guest

05-03-04, 09:34 AM   #10  
hrauto
tried it

Hey guys, I tried the stomping thing. Decided not to use a crows foot, but rather a texturing brush about 6 inches in diameter. smaller, but got the wife one and we made double time. I applied the mud, mixed about 15 lbs of joint compound with 3/4 cup of water. mixed well with a paint/ drill mixer until consistent. dip the brush about an inch into the mix and go straight up to the ceiling, pressing and twisting about half turn. got about 2 or 3 "stomps" per dip of the brush. overlap a little on each "stomp" to avoid skips. Allowed to dry for a day or two, depending on humidity. Topcoated with a coat of quality semi gloss paint. The gloss in the paint really accents the peaks and texture of the ceiling. We are not through with the whole decorating project, but several people have asked us for our brushes and poles so they can do their ceilings. I'll try to get a pic or two and post tomorrow. Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions. This is a great site!
Bill

Visiting Guest

12-26-04, 10:31 AM   #11  
springer02
Crow's foot brush

Advice needed. Ready to "stomp" ceiling with single crow foot brush. My plan was to use an offset "V" pattern. What is the best way to get coverage at the ceiling/wall edge?

Thanks for Info.

Search this Thread