Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hole in the wall

04-04-04, 01:32 PM   #1  
Hole in the wall

I had to cut a square out of my wall about 5 inches or so. How do I go about plastering it up?

Sponsored Links

KS

04-04-04, 04:44 PM   #2  
Get a piece of 2x4 about 9 inches long. Put the wood in the hole and screw it in place by putting screws through the wall into the wood. The wall holds the wood in place. This is called backing. Cut a piece of drywall the same size as the hole. Screw the drywall patch to the wood. Also put some screws in the studs closest to the patch. Put mesh tape around the perimiter of the patch covering the cracks. finish with mud.

04-04-04, 05:01 PM   #3  
Isn't there a way to just put some type of mesh over the wall and cover it up?

CAL

04-04-04, 06:37 PM   #4  
Yes,
There are patch kits available that use a plaster impregnated mesh. Coop's way is better. Though perhaps slower, I think enough better to do it that way.

Visiting Guest

05-10-04, 09:26 AM   #5  
rick_m
Follow coop's instructions

I had a few areas to repair in my walls, I did it that way (except I used a 1x2 since the holes were smaller). Fairly easy to do and if it's in an area that might be prone to being punched through again (like behind a door) then this could strengthen the area. I used the mesh stuff once, I didn't like it.

Search this Thread