plastering & drywall repair help!

Old 05-10-04, 09:09 AM
budman532
Visiting Guest
Question plastering & drywall repair help!

hello all i'm just renovating the bathroom when i removed the old plastic tiles i was left with a lot of glue when i try to remove the glue i remove alot of the old plaster what is the best way to remove the glue or fix the holes do i use drywall compound or tear the walls out completly and drywall any help would be appreciated

Old 05-10-04, 04:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can scrape the old glue off & repair the wall with joint compound, it'll work fine. I generally figure on just gutting bathrooms though, it's always a good idea to update wiring & plumbing while you're remodeling a bath in my opinion. What ever you do don't forget to include a vent fan in your plans.

Old 05-12-04, 10:00 AM
budman532
Visiting Guest
thanks

I was thinking of updating the plumbing and electrical anyway so i guess i'll just tear it out the glue was so hard to get off i took the plaster right off in some places so i would need alot of coumpound

thanks for your help

Old 05-13-04, 06:13 AM
Gut the room to the studs & start from scratch, you'll be glad you did!

Old 05-20-04, 08:43 PM
vmg_inc
Visiting Guest
Talking Hey Budman...

Well you have come to a momentus part of your project... To be perfectly honest with you... Gut it, Rip it, etc. etc... If you can afford it, go through the bathroom... Even if you have to take your time in finishing it back off... I would recommend you clear it out and redo the entire room... FIrst things first, the electrical and the plumbing probably could use a little work, and well maybe the wife wanted to have a couple of things changed, etc. etc...

Whenever I have come upon a client and/or customer who just wanted to fix an old problem, I almost always try and recommend that they update the whole room... It really if you watch sales specials doesn't cost that much and you will be much happier..

Good Luck and Good Ripping...

Old 05-24-04, 09:56 AM
budman532
Visiting Guest
thanks guys, and by the way

Just to let you know after i ripped out 3 of 4 walls i had a brain fart it seems that of you heat the glue with a torch it comes off like butter so if you don't gouge the plaster too bad when your taking off the old tiles your good to g

Old 05-24-04, 10:10 PM
Yeah that was a duh on my part, should have suggested trying a heat gun on the glue, I've done it bofore with good results, I'm a bit wary of suggesting the torch idea, open flame, indoors, with the wrong people could be a fire hazard Glad it worked for you.

I happen to be remodeling a bath & kitchen right now, prior water damage from low slope roof above, fixed the roof last fall (overlaid new metal roof, no more leaks ), now we're redoing the interior, full blown job in the bath, just the ceilings and some new vinyl panel on the kitchen walls. Glad I talked the customer into gutting the bath, serious mold issues on the back side of the old drywall in the bath.

Well very glad the project is progressing well. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Old 06-30-04, 08:06 AM
Jean Luc
Visiting Guest
I do a lot of plaster repair and found the quickest and easiest method is to use Setting-Type Joint Compound. It comes dry in bags and is rated at cure time. You can get 15 all the way up to 90 minute cure time products from most paint/DIY stores. It is different from the regular tub-type Joint Compound in that it CURES to harden instead of EVAPORATING to harden as the regular Joint Compound does. It also won't shrink like the regular does and then crack. The thicker the applictation the better. I use it a lot and really like how it speeds up the process for plaster repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: