Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

texturing walls over new and old drywall

Visiting Guest

06-08-04, 10:12 PM   #1  
Tmorrow
texturing walls over new and old drywall

We've recently had to remove 2 half walls of our finished garden-level basement due to water damage. We put up new drywall on 2 half walls and they are now taped and mudded. Because this is a basement, albeit a garden-level, we've chosen Kilz Premium as the primer because it's mildew resistant. After priming, we'd like to texture the half-walls but, since we've not done this before, we're a little uneasy about just using thinned out joint compound. I've seen Valspar texture paints and am wondering if anyone has used it and how did it work? Do you have to seal the Valspar after it's dry?

Also, we'd like to continue the texture to the old drywall, which is a full-sized wall. We'll be putting up wainscotting above the texture. Will I have to sand the old paint on the bottom half of the wall before I use the Valspar? I'm assuming I'll have to prime everything in the room, just to make sure the finished color is even...?

Last edited by Tmorrow; 06-08-04 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Left out something

Sponsored Links

KS

06-13-04, 06:44 AM   #2  
I've never used texture paints. I personally don't like the way they look. Why are you leary about using joint compound? You can do endless textures with it. Most all textures are joint compound. I would not Prime with oil based before you texture. It will affect the drying of the texture. Prime with oil after you texture.

Search this Thread