Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Newly plastered ceiling hairline crack repair question

Newly plastered ceiling hairline crack repair question

Old 07-08-04, 04:16 AM
mccabedoug
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Newly plastered ceiling hairline crack repair question

I just redid a room off my home changing it from a 3-season to a 4-season room. It is a cathedral ceiling room that I drywalled. To make a long story short after I primed & painted the ceiling I noticed that a small, hairline crack formed between 2 pieces of drywall along one of the taped joints. The hairline crack is about 6 feet long and runs from the ceiling peak almost down to the wall.

I figured that I caused it when I rolled the ceiling during the priming process. I noticed that if I pushed on one side of the crack the joint flexes ever so much, probably enough to cause the small crack. I now remember that I really, really pushed on the extension pole of the paint roller to get the primer on the ceiling. Yes, I was very stupid and in retrospect, what the hell was I thinking?

Now what do I do? It is primed and has 2 coats of paint on it. I don't want to cut out the joint like a normal crack repair since it is along a known taped joint, do I?

The crack is really, really thin, literally a hair's width.

Replaster it? Paintable caulk?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-04, 05:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Caulk it and touch up with the paint.

Old 07-08-04, 06:06 AM
mccabedoug
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Prowallguy. Finding that little crack ruined my day yesterday.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: