Patching after wall paper removal

Old 07-14-04, 08:40 AM
sherritp
Visiting Guest
Patching after wall paper removal

I've completed a very large wall paper removal project. Whew! The drywall was not painted before the wall paper was hung. Now I need to patch the areas where I've either softened the mud on joints or scraped off the paper layer of the drywall. There are a few areas where I will need to cut out the paper, replace, and apply 2 coats of mud.

I've read through a number of different posts, but I haven't seen suggestions on how to repaire 'nicks' in drywall surface.

Should I prime, mud, paint or should I mud before doing any priming (what I'm leaning towards doing).

Thanks!

Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-04, 05:22 AM
Lightman
Visiting Guest
I'm working on the same bathroom project, you should patch everything that needs patching, let it all dry then sand everything, let the dust settle and prime it all.

Old 07-24-04, 08:15 AM
You want to do all your mudding & sanding prior to primer & paint, generally, but if you've still got some of the brown backer paper from that old wallpaper on the wall I'd suggest using Gardz, made by Zinnser over the wall prior to mudding. It'll help keep the mud from bubbling or blistering over these areas. I'd also recommend going over the walls with either a damp sponge or a shop vac with a brush attachment on it to remove dust that's clinging on the walls & ceiling prior to painting or primering, otherwise if there's too much dust under the primer, neither it or the paint will adhere to the surface properly.

Read any can of paint, primer, stain, sealer, whatever & the first thing it says that surface preparation is critical! Surfaces must be clean & dry!