Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall mess

Visiting Guest

07-27-04, 12:16 AM   #1  
salamanca
Drywall mess

Started out as simple project, lay laminate. Took off baseboard, paint came off in strips down to the brown paper and more. Seems as if no primer was applied to these walls...In three corners where cat urine had been treated with an enzyme pad was still damp and moisture had migrated to drywall. After removing soft crumbling drywall in the corners have three and four inch holes flush with the floor Any suggestions would be helpful...Plan on sanding, have joint compound, oil based primer, kilz......Some of this will be hidden with new baseboard.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-27-04, 08:06 PM   #2  
Painterman
Drywall repair

salamanca,
For smaller holes (2-8") there is a trick:
1. Square off the hole as best as you can.
2. Cut a piece of sheet-rock about 1" larger in all directions (if you have a 4x4" hole cut a piece 6x6")
3. Score the back of the sheetrock with a utility knife with a mirror image of the hole (roughly)
DO NOT CUT THE FACE PAPER.
4. Snap off the edges and peal the rock from the face paper.
5. Trowel on a coat of compound around the hole (be sure to "scrap off" the putty knife on the edges of the hole so that you get compound in the perimeter edge of the hole)
6. Place the sheetrock patch into the hole with the paper flaps extending around the hole
7. Smooth out the flaps with your putty knife (add more compound as needed, lift a flap etc.)
8. You will have to knife on some more compound after this has dried to level out the wall
9. Sand, prime, and paint
As for the corners patch one side (this method) let it dry and then do the other side.
On the floor edge you don't need a flange.
If you have an exposed stud and can set a screw without damaging the rock go ahead and do so.
This method skips having to screw braces behind the hole , which can be difficult in corners or near a floor/ ceiling.
I don't recomend this patch for holes larger than 8" because the weight of the patch vs. the holding ability of the "paper flange" is not too consistant and you get droops and bubbles in the paper, of course the more exact your fit is with the patch the better it will be.
Reply to this thead if you have any questions
Hope this helps
Painterman

Visiting Guest

07-28-04, 09:13 PM   #3  
salamanca
Thanks Painterman,
I really appreciate your response. It was thorough, easy to follow, and the best I have seen on this topic. I feel this is something I can tackle without fearing that I will damage the drywall further. I went to Lowe's where they even gave me a couple of pieces of damaged drywall at no cost.

Visiting Guest

07-29-04, 06:20 PM   #4  
Painterman
Drywall Mess

Salamanca,
Hope it works! if you need any more help with this, reply again to this thread or just post and let me know how it worked for you.
Painterman

MO

08-01-04, 04:43 PM   #5  
Excellent respose Painterman! Never tried that approach before but I will give that a try myself. Never too old or been in the business too long to learn a fresh idea! Keep up the good work.

Search this Thread