skim coat over dry brittle adhesive?

Old 07-30-04, 05:44 AM
farmall
Visiting Guest
skim coat over dry brittle adhesive?

Will it work?

Previous owner glued parquet flooring to wall in main stairwell ugly stuff here. The parquet has been sent to the landfill after an attempt to paint it. The adhesive (its dry dark brown stuff) is still stuck to the wall.

My thought is to prime the adhesive and do a skim coat over top. Any thought on this working, or would I be better off going new drywall.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-04, 04:37 PM
I would opt for either tearing out the old drywall & replacing it or else you could overlay 1/4" rock over the existing stuff, however this option will run you into some potential problems with having to recut door casings & other trimwork.

I think trying to skim coat over that old glue would leave you with less than desirable results and take longer as well. There's my $.02 worth, which is worth the price charged. Good luck!

Old 09-22-04, 05:36 AM
farmall
Visiting Guest
Did this project a couple weeks ago, after knocking the adhesive down a bit with a paintscraper, I washed the walls with water only and applied a skim coat of plaster with a 6 inch knife. The finish is a very nice stucco effect on one wall in a stairwell. With paint it looks great.

No drywall removal or disposal, no casing removal or electricity to mess with and from prep to paint about 3 days. Thursday 3 hours to prep. Friday night quit at 3 AM Absolute rookie spent 8 hours plastering (very minimal sanding though) 36 hours drying time prime and paint.

Perhaps awesomedell could rerock faster, but it would take me as long to get the rock and help hold it in the stairwell. This was a total loner project.

Old 09-25-04, 07:53 PM
Other than the 45 day lag time between when you thought of doing it & when the actual project got accomplished, we would have had this done at exactly the same time, 3 days, but I hung new board, taped, finished & painted it. But 3 days plus a month & a half to think about it isn't bad for a diyer. Glad it worked out well for ya, now if we can just work on that procrastination thing.