Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

thickness??? sheetrock

OK

08-12-04, 07:45 PM   #1  
thickness??? sheetrock

My house was born in 56 I am replacing some of the sheetrock in one of the bathrooms it says 1/2" on it but the sheetrock i'm putting on looks almost an 1/8 thinner it to is 1/2" did they start making the stuff thinner now as opposed to when real men made the stuff long ago?

Sponsored Links

MO

08-13-04, 04:30 PM   #2  
I might be wrong about this, but I believe that sheetrock used to not have the recessed edges on it, that would account for the 1/8" difference in the thickness. If that's the case, it would make it a bit easier to tape & finish if you were to cut the recessed edge off of the new sheets where they are butting to the old existing stuff. Good luck!

08-14-04, 08:23 PM   #3  
possilby the original sheetrock is 1/8" thicker
or
The entire area was skimmed over with 1/8" top coat of compound
or
the section you are mating to is near a seam having a 1/8" build up of a top coat compound

solutions:

mend the seam and float the seam onto the new piece of sheetrock far enough to disguise the difference
or
shim the wall with 1/8" strips of wood
or
use 5/8" sheetrock...

Last edited by StephenS; 08-14-04 at 08:41 PM.

OK

08-15-04, 06:09 PM   #4  
StephenS

thanks im going to float it in thinking about it im glad it's giving me room to float I should be through with this project keep puttin it on the back burner

Search this Thread