kitchen ceiling is falling

Old 08-15-04, 09:39 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question kitchen ceiling is falling

We live in an apartment that is on the sixth and top floor. Various cracks have appeared in the kitchen ceiling and only there. Several test holes have been drilled and probing through the holes touches nothing. The probe is at least 12" long. I was expecting lathe or joists but have found neither. I have called a contractor for a consultation. Next thing I am thinking is taking down a piece of the falling ceiling and looking to see what is there. Any suggestions welcome.

Old 08-17-04, 06:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What did the contractor say??

Old 08-17-04, 02:06 PM
T
Received 53 Upvotes on 45 Posts
How old is the building? Are the walls plaster? You must think so if you were expecting lath. Is this perhaps a remodeled commercial building? Could be plaster over metal lath and hung on channels. They do not present a very large target to hit with the probe. You say there are cracks and at the end of the message you say the ceiling is falling. Is there discoloration as from water? Are there pieces of ceiling missing? Is the ceiling sagging? Maybe you are making things worse than they are and going to more trouble than is warranted. Tell us more about the condition of the ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: