Hanging a mirror on drywall....

Old 08-17-04, 05:12 PM
Swan4
Visiting Guest
Hanging a mirror on drywall....

I have a mirror that weighs appx. 18 pounds. The spot I need to hang it on does not line up with the studs. Is it okay to hang something that weighs 18 pounds using drywall anchors and screws?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 08-17-04, 06:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
screws and anchors are rated according to weight. If you need to sopport a mirror with 2 anchors each one should be rated for 10 lbs or 1 anchor rated at least 20 lbs. I like the ones that are screwed into the drywall rather than the push in ones. They hold a tremendous weight, but regular plastic anchors or molly bolts with the proper rating will do.

Old 08-17-04, 07:25 PM
S
look for the pro series ook brand hangers which are sold at hd...they are sold with weight ratings up to 100 lbs.. the attachment is to the drywall..

Old 10-04-04, 09:09 AM
T
how can an anchor be rated for 100lbs? Doesn't it depend on the drywall as well? For example, if you screw in one of these anchors isn't it susceptible to pulling out of the drywall due to the drywall around the anchor being disturbed by putting in the anchor?

still learning...

Old 10-26-04, 08:14 PM
S
http://www.ooks.com/cart/viewitem.cf...erID=-25027976

the-dude
the hanger is installed using 3 short steel pins driven in at a downward angle...The wieght of 100lbs is distributed to a larger area of the drywall...the success of the hanger certainly relies with proper installation of the drywall...though it is not susceptible to pullout as a single screw with wire attached will be...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: