Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Drywall 'Fast-Set' Stains on our concrete!!!!

Old 09-02-04, 10:21 AM
peiler
Visiting Guest

What a nightmare!!!! After 3 weeks of attempting to get a local contractor to finish our new loft with texturing (and still not having it even close), I gave up and finished it off myself thanks to help on this site.

His weekend, as I finally got to taking care of the yards, I noticed our concrete steps had a white ‘residue’ on them, left over from when the drywall guys cleaned their tools, etc. So I tried to wash it off, no luck. Broke out the Simple green, and other high concentrated cleaners… no dice. Finally I rented a high powered pressure washer and it is still not coming off!!!

So I ask the neighbor next door who does office build-outs for a recommendation, and he says “Dude, your hosed. That was the lime in the ‘Fast-Set’ they used, and it won’t come off, the concrete is permanently stain, I think. You might try some ACID, but your going to change the look of the concrete.”

HELP!!!!

I have been told that I have a ‘salt wash’ finish, where they laid salt rock on top of the concrete as it set, then washed off the salt to give a ‘dimpled’ look. We like the look, and to change the surface would be far from ideal.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-04, 02:54 PM
Wow, thats a new one for me. I never heard of drywall mud staining concrete. Especially if it was diluted with water(cleaning tools). Sounds more like paint to me. But I don't know everything. Sorry no help from me.

Old 09-03-04, 05:47 AM
Like Coops I've never seen drywall mud permanently stain concrete, but I am always careful to wash off and residue mud that gets on the concrete, flowers, shrubs, etc. when working at someone's home. Now paint is a different story, but even then only an oil based or allkyd paint would permanently stain it, is the exterior of your house painted? Don't normally use oil based paint for interiors on new construction. While quick set mud does contain lime, it would have only had limited use in the finishing of a new house, for prefill strictly, or at least that's the only thing I use it for when finishing a whole house. It dries way too quick for use in your boxes and angleheads.

There's some stuff I get at the dollar store in my area called AWESOME, comes in a clear plastic spray pump bottle with red lettering, works very well on a variety of stains, if you can find it in your area you might give that a try. Other than that only other thought is that the stain will eventually wear off with time & exposure to the elements. Sorry I don't have any definite answer for you either.