Repairing plaster after removing soffits

Old 09-03-04, 10:57 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing plaster after removing soffits

I removed the soffits from my kitchen, and I've run into a small problem. The walls and ceiling are plaster, with a metal lath backing. The part of the ceiling that ran up to the base of the soffit (going parallel with the ceiling joists) does not quite reach the ceiling joist. It's about a half inch short. So, basically, I've got a 16 inch wide length of ceiling kind of sagging at the rough edge, because the lath is not nailed to a joist. To compensate for this, it looks like the builder had originally inserted a length of 2X4 next to the joist (and above the plaster) that the plaster was originally fastened to. The trauma of removing the soffit framing seems to have worked part of the ceiling loose from this board.

I know, it sounds a bit strange. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to re-attach the loose plaster ceiling to the board, without causing too much damage. I've secured this extra 2X4 to the joist with some 3 inch lag screws. How can I reattach the ceiling?

Old 09-05-04, 06:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well the short answer is you can't reattach loose plaster to the lath. What I would do is to remove the loose plaster completely and fill the gap with a piece of sheetrock and then finish it out, probably using quickset drywall mud. I guess you could also repair that small of a space with some plaster patch. But I would go with the sheetrock idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: