the right stuff?

Old 10-05-04, 10:18 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the right stuff?

i have some old horse-hair plaster walls that I would like to skim coat. I've read in this forums on application techniques, which have been helpful, but I'm not clear on what the appropriate material is for the skim coat.

at my home mega store they have "Finish plaster" which is made by Diamond. Is this the correct material to use?

also, the walls are painted, so would i have to apply anything before applying the skim coat to ensure appropriate adhesion/curing/whatever?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by havab; 10-05-04 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-05-04, 10:40 AM
T
Received 55 Upvotes on 46 Posts
What effect do you hope to acheive with the skim coat? Dimaond Interior Finish is not amateur friendly. If you want a smooth, flat wall you should hire a plasterer or use joint mud so you can sand off all the ridges and slobbers you are going to get.

Yes you should use a bonding agent especially if you use the Diamond. Unless you have some experience with the hawk and trowel and enough stamina to run that trowel all day I would discourage you from using anything but joint compound. Of course when you paint it it will likely blister and peel so talk to a good paint dealer before you piant. He can tell you what to use to prevent the blisters.

Old 10-05-04, 11:05 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
well I'm certainly an amatuer, so I guess Diamond isn't for me. i'd be painting the walls.

my impression was that joint compound is an inferior finish for skim coating because it isn't as hard as plaster, but it sounds like the trade off is that it is easier to work with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: