Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bubbles in tape

IL

10-07-04, 01:18 PM   #1  
bubbles in tape

i am getting increasingly frustrated with my (in)abilities to lay on a smooth strip of drywall tape. i've tried:
-very thin first coat of mud, followed immediately by tape, followed immediately by another thin coat of mud -- the result, the tape doesn't hold, but inevitably "cracks" along the side at various portions

- thicker first coat of mud, followed immediately by tape, followed by a dry run to push out excess mud from under tape, followed by a thin coat of mud -- the result, either bubles in the middle of the tape (which don't show until it's dry), or "cracks" along the side at points when i've pushed too hard.

-thicker first coat of mud, followed immediately by tape, followed by a dry run to push out excess mud, followed by a thicker coat of mud, followed by a dry run -- the result, bubbles in various spots.

any help would be appreciated!!

(also, if i've got bubbles in various places, can i just cut them with a razor blade, push out the air and fill/cover with more mud? or will the bubble remain?)

Sponsored Links

10-07-04, 05:18 PM   #2  
Sounds like something supernatural to me. My advice is to use fiberglass tape. It is self adhesive and requires no mud underneath it Put it on clean, dry,non dusty, drywall and apply compound. Apply the mud from the middle of the wall and go up to the ceiling and down to the floor if you have any problems with the tape creasing. That should solve your probs. Inside corners and wall ceiling joints will still need tape. I think you should FORGET about the extra coat of mud after you put on the tape. Put more mud rather than less mud if you have any doubt. Too little mud is what causes the bubbles. There is no mud under it. Concentrate on getting the tape on properly and forget the second coat until it dries. If you have a problem with the paper tape bunching up start in the middle and work towards both ends like with the fiberglass tape

if i've got bubbles in various places, can i just cut them with a razor blade, push out the air and fill/cover with more mud? or will the bubble remain?)

you have to get rid of the bubble cut it out and put on the fibergjass tape and finish.

PS Mixing the joint compound to a creamy consistency really helps.Right Out of the pail it is too thick and hard to work. you need to mix it good

Last edited by joneq; 10-07-04 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add

IL

10-08-04, 05:52 AM   #3  
great advice. thanks.

KS

10-08-04, 06:21 AM   #4  
Wait!!! Put a thick coat of mud down, Mash it out, then leave it alone. When you go over it right away with mud it pulls it away from the wall leaving an air gap.

10-08-04, 08:23 AM   #5  
wait for what????

MO

10-10-04, 11:46 PM   #6  
Wait until the tape coat dries before proceeding with the first coat of fill. The key is to proper bedding of the tape, hold the knife (I like a good flexible 8" personally) with the thumb and pinky around the handle and the three middle fingers fanned across the center part of the blade. Like the man said, start in the middle and run towards the ends, pulling the blade towards you. When you get close to the corner or an obstruction, reverse the angle and push the mud out from under the tape until just a very thin layer beneath it and then allow the tape coat dry completely before putting on the next coat. That's where the waiting comes into play. Key to good finishing work is coats and patience.

Last edited by awesomedell; 10-11-04 at 12:07 AM.

IL

10-11-04, 05:18 AM   #7  
thanks for all the clarifications. did some taping this weekend and got solid results -- now i just have to go back and repair/redo the crappy work i did before i was enlightened.

thanks again.

10-11-04, 05:19 AM   #8  
Thhe reason I asked was because of this in my original reply

"Concentrate on getting the tape on properly and forget the second coat until it dries"

Search this Thread