Question regarding Kitchen wall

Old 10-12-04, 10:26 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question regarding Kitchen wall

I am currently remodeling the kitchen and removed the laminate Backsplash that went up from the counter about 18". When i removed the backsplash, much of the plaster behind it was damaged. I want to chisel it out and put up something in its place and then tile over it. Should i bother keeping the wood lathe or take it all out to the studs? Secondly, I need something that is waterproof, pretty thin (i'm not sure what depth yet depending on removing the wood lathe or not), able to tile over easily, and i can easily cut out fixture cutouts for the new outlets i am putting in.

My other question is: do i have to fix the walls that had the old cabinets on them if i am putting new cabinets where they went? The only problem with them are the numerous nail holes that had kept the old cabinets up.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-16-04, 01:25 PM
You can leave lath or remove, your call. I would remove it if you want to update electrical, etc... Usually you put up regular drywall behind tile backsplash. If your new cabinets have a back on them then go ahead and leave the wall the way it is. Just fix what shows.

Old 10-16-04, 10:04 PM
P
thanks

I thought it was important to use waterproof backing underneath the tile backsplash just in case when its close to a water source, so i was going to use cement board but it doesn't matter?

Old 10-17-04, 12:37 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Backsplash

Drywall is fine for backsplash area because it is not exposed to water like tiles are in showers. Concrete underlayment is recommended in tub/shower area. Backsplash tile is installed with adhesive (mastic). Use unsanded grout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: