corner bead with little backing?

Old 10-19-04, 11:55 AM
dsw
corner bead with little backing?

i've got a cruddy 120 degree outside wall corner that needs to be refinished. the original plaster has holes and crumbling pieces. originally i tried to refinish it with tape and mud, but my edge was not particularly straight. then i discovered the 120 degree corner bead and it seemed to be a gift from heaven. when i tried to attach it to the wall, however, i found that there is virtually nothing behind the plaster to hold the metal strip/bead.

any suggestions on what i can use to attach the bead snugly -- at least until i get a good coating of mud on there? nails go it, but don't keep it tight. might screws work better? or a particularly kind of screw/nail?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-04, 03:24 PM
Corner bead

What about Liquid Nails? If you use screws, make sure they are rust proof.

Old 10-19-04, 07:09 PM
dsw
liquid nails might work -- but i need the bead to stay tight from floor to ceiling. i don't know how i can keep it tight against the length of the corner until the liquid nails dries. i think i'm afraid to try it -- should it not work, i'll be in a deeper hole.

any ideas on special screws/nails that resemble smallish toggle bolts?

Old 10-19-04, 07:39 PM
Try hot melt glue with the liquid nails. Put down some beads of liquid nails on the corner bead but leave like 4 or 5 spaces on each side for the hotmelt glue. Put the hot melt glue on after the liquid nails and go like hell!!!!. Maybe use some of the glue that doesn't set up for a minute or so and wear gloves. Wipe up the liquid nails after the glue sets up

Old 10-20-04, 05:44 AM
dsw
i slapped on a bunch of mud to one side and it held fairly well (even though the nails weren't in tight.) what's the likelihood that the corner bead will pop off the corner/show cracks at a later date if it essentially being held to the wall by a bunch of mud?

Old 10-20-04, 07:15 AM
Pretty good chance. I don't think it will fall off,but it is likely to crack. prepare the two sides of the corner bead to accept fiberglass drywall tape and put it on and finish as you normally would tapering it out on the wall so as to make it invisible. That will help with the cracking, but it is definitely not as good as if you either screwed or nailed it or used the technique with the hot melt and liquid nails.

I can't imagine that there is no stud in the vicinity that you could hit with a longer drywall screw or nail going in on an angle if necessary.

Old 10-25-04, 05:45 AM
Use the drywall corner bead glue. It is a contact adhesive. Spray the wall and the bead, wait 30 sec. and attach. you can put a staple every 10 inches to hold it in place until it is set up. Then bed tape (mesh or paper) over the edge of the bead.