Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Skim coating

OH

10-23-04, 01:28 PM   #1  
Skim coating

I just removed some wallpaper which left the walls not so nice and I want to paint them. I read in the forum about skim coating and would like to know what is involved and how difficult it is.

Sponsored Links

MO

11-01-04, 12:01 PM   #2  
someone please Help him!!!!

i've moved your question to the Plastering forum. maybe you'll get some help here!! sorry you've had to wait so long!

good luck!

MO

11-01-04, 09:33 PM   #3  
If you've removed wallpaper and there's any of the brown backing paper revealed, you'll need to prime with a product called Gardz, made by Zinnser prior to skim coating or else the mud will blister. Once you've got that sealed, use lite joint compound thinned with water and a wide drywall blade to skim out the wall and get back to a smooth flat surface.

CT

11-16-04, 04:44 PM   #4  
Larry,
I just got done doing a bathroom over with the same problem. Had a new shower installed,(plumber destroyed the wall) and I decided to take off the wallpaper only to find out why it put it up in the first place (to hide the wall damage).Like Awesomedeel mentioned get a sealer/primer, I used glidden Ultrahide myself. What kind of damage do you have? If it is just pitted or holes, I would just patch them up with joint compound than sand down, and paint over with a really good sealer/primer. A good primer/sealer can hide,minor damage, and using a flat paint works better to camo the damage rather than a glossy satin that tends to highlight flaws.

If you chose to skim coat, which I did to blend in the plaster wall with the drywall I installed. You mix up the topping joint compound (make sure to get ready mixed compound) with water to a milk shake conistantcy. Sread it on the wall with 3/8 inch nap paint rollar, than use a taping knife/trowel to spread it out. On a sidenote,I would only recomend skim coating if your going to paint the room with a high gloss paint, if not, a really good primer-sealer can hide the flaws, along with some minor spackle work.

MO

11-17-04, 05:38 AM   #5  
Pretty good advice there Kevin, although I would recommend using Lite Joint Compound rather than topping mix.

CT

11-17-04, 10:50 AM   #6  
Posted By: awesomedell Pretty good advice there Kevin, although I would recommend using Lite Joint Compound rather than topping mix.
nice pick up awesomedell, me too . I mixed up my mixes.

Search this Thread