Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Help, 9"x14" drywall patch, bathroom ceiling

Help, 9"x14" drywall patch, bathroom ceiling

Old 11-03-04, 05:01 PM
woofer
Visiting Guest
Question Help, 9"x14" drywall patch, bathroom ceiling

Hello:
I removed a vent fan/heater which simply vented directly into the bathroom cathedral ceiling, and not to the outside. It resulted in condensation and heat loss. I have not been able to find a suitable replacement, so I need to patch the 9"x14" hole. The 9" is between 16" oc joists, so there is no framing directly along the edges of the patch. I'd like to install 4" round electrical box under the new patch in case I find a suitable heater later. I could use some advice as to how to go about this job. The patch will not have tapered edges as on full drywall sheets. Will this complicate taping and applying drywall compound?

Thank You Much!

woofer

Old 11-04-04, 05:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Woofer and welcome to the forums. Patching the drywall is no big deal, taper cut the edges of the hole and patch piece at a 45 degree angle on the backside with a utility knife, make sure your patch piece fits pretty tightly and a bit of tape & mud and you're good as new ready for primer and paint. Well it's not quite that easy, you'll need to get some short lengths of like 1"x4" or plywood cut down into like 4" strips. Place a strip along the edge of the hole and hold it in place, then use your screw gun to sink 2-3 screws along the edge about 1' back from the edge of the hole. Make sure the strip extends over the edge at least an inch or so, this way you can screw the patch piece into it as well. Follow this procedure on all 4 sides of the hole. now you have something to attach your patch to and hold it firmly into place. As I said be sure to taper cut the back edge of the patch and the sides of the hole, this will make the tape & mud job go much easier.

Now my much bigger concern is that you curently have an unvented bathroom, this is gonna cause you grief, probably sooner than later. Personally I would have extended to vent hose over to a gable or soffet vent. This might have meant replacing a whole sheet of drywall in a vaulted ceiling in order to gain the necessary access, but would be the best thing to do IMO. All bathrooms, especially one with a shower included, really needs an exhaust vent installed. You're going to end up with mold on the walls in no time w/o one. I strongly suggest that you remedy the situation ASAP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: