Removing Wall Plugs/Anchors

Old 11-08-04, 08:28 AM
Jermyn
Visiting Guest
Removing Wall Plugs/Anchors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to remove 16 wall anchors that the previous owner had used to put screws into to mount 8 mirrors.

What I don't know is how to properly remove these plugs so that I can patch the holes and paint.

The plugs are plastic.

Suggestions anyone????

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-04, 08:35 AM
If you can get to them, cut the larger outsice edge of the anchor off with a utility knife (sharp blade) and push then through. Could also drill through them since you are patching anyways. Good luck.

Old 11-08-04, 08:52 AM
Jermyn
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice . . .

Old 11-08-04, 08:57 AM
Jermyn, Please post your question in only one forum. This one is more Patching and plastering so try to decide which topic you think best fits the question. Thanks.

Old 11-08-04, 09:00 AM
I usually just use a phillips head screwdriver and push them in 1/4 " this leaves someting to stop the filler from going through and indents the area all in 1 shot. I also use lightweight patch [like thick whipped cream] it dries fast don't shrink. Leave it a little proud of the hole and sand in an hour or so then paint

Old 03-06-10, 11:42 AM
Another way to remove difficult plastic wall anchors

I'm redoing a bathroom and there are a lot of wall anchors. Screwing in a screw part way and pulling the screw and anchor out worked on most of them. However, there were a couple that just wouldn't budge where the curtain rods and blinds had been installed. They had to come out as they aren't where the new hardware will be installed.

I had a couple of large eye hooks (for hanging plants outside). They were larger than the screws that had been in there. I twisted them in and put a screwdriver through the eye and worked out all the remaining anchors. I'm going to have patching to do, but that was a given.

Old 03-06-10, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums rustyautumn!

Providing it won't interfere with mounting the new hardware, I normally knock them in and patch over them - it's a whole lot easier and quicker