Cracks in Plaster

Old 11-30-04, 04:45 AM
Cracks in Plaster

I have a house built in 1962 that has wet plaster walls with coved ceilings in all the rooms (except bathrooms). I have a few areas that have cracks that need to be repaired. The cracks seem to be in alignment/parallel with a ceiling joist.

What would be the best method of repair and the best materials? Would drilling a small hole at the end of the crack(s) help in stopping the progression of the crack? What should I use as joint tape? - standard paper or some type of mesh?

Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-04, 05:51 AM
A house of that time definitely has drywall lath. A good Idea would be to screw that lath down along the crack. Then v out the crack cutting away any loose material. Don't be surprised if a big chunck comes off. Fill the crack with a hard material. If you are compfortable using plaster then use some patching plaster. If not, use a quick set mud. Like USG lightweight durabond. It comes in setting times of 20, 45 and 90 minutes. After it is filled and flush then you can tape the crack with paper tape. Also bed the tape in the quick set mud. Then finish smooth.

Old 11-30-04, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reply!

It does have drywall/gypsum lath.

Would you recommend "regular" drywall screws, or something like a plaster repair type screw with the large washer-like head?

Old 11-30-04, 02:08 PM
You can use regular drywall screws. 2" should do. Unless your plaster is loose?

Old 12-01-04, 06:13 AM
No, all the plaster is tight. I'm just getting some hairline cracks.

What about drilling holes at the end of the cracks to stop them from spreading?

Old 12-01-04, 08:59 PM
Drilling holes at the ends of cracks works in some media. Never heard of it in plaster. Try it and let us know how it works.
Maybe you could even drill the hole then put in some kind of soft filler to hide it. It would have to be soft enough not to counteract the advantage if any of the hole.