Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fake wood Paneling removal

AZ

12-19-04, 12:10 AM   #1  
Fake wood Paneling removal

I just removed 1970's style fake wood paneling that was both nailed and glued to the underlying drywall. Where it was glued (liquid nails) some layers of drywall came off as well. How do I repair those areas? Someone told me you can't put mud on it because the moisture will just cause more of the exposed drywall layers to wrinkle. I was told to seal those areas with white shellac, then fill them with mud. BTW is mud the same thing as drywall spackle you get in tubs at HD and Lowes? Thanks for any extra advice.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

12-19-04, 01:39 AM   #2  
Hi Hanna,
-the advice you have is reasonable, but use PVA primer instead of shellac. I've done lots of these kind of repairs, and never had a problem doing this and then using 'light ' drywall mud. You get it in tubs at HD or similar, just look for the words 'lightline' or just 'light' in the name. This is designed for thin skimcoats and shouldn't be a problem. After sanding lightly till smooth, apply another coat of PVA primer.

Last edited by nomind; 12-19-04 at 01:46 AM. Reason: clarity

MO

12-19-04, 11:58 AM   #3  
I second nomind's advice!

CANADA

12-22-04, 05:45 AM   #4  
hi
if the wall are to rough get some 1/4 drywall to put on top.

cheers

pg

Search this Thread