Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vanity too heavy for drywall

Visiting Guest

01-16-05, 02:51 PM   #1  
smilin-eyes
vanity too heavy for drywall

I spent a lot of time measuring and preparing to hang a solid oak vanity (with predrilled holes) in my bathroom on drywall only to have the anchors come completely out of the wall. Evidently the vanity is too heavy. I can barely lift it, it weighs about 60lbs. The predrilled holes don't line up with the studs or even come close. I don't know where to go from here.

Patch the holes and just drill new holes in the vanity, where the studs line up maybe? Or I am thinking I will have to cut huge holes in the wall and nail 2x4's between the studs-but not sure. I have never messed with drywall before.

I need to know the proper way to deal with this. Any ideas??? Any help would be appreciated.

smilin-eyes

Sponsored Links

MO

01-16-05, 05:49 PM   #2  
A vanity cabinet should have been mounted to studs or else cross bracing. I would say that your best bet would be to drill some new holes so you can mount it to the studs. Other than that you will have to cut some larger holes and install some cross bracing between the studs in order to safely hang this cabinet.

01-16-05, 06:21 PM   #3  
Are you sure your vanity was not supposed to include a bracket to hang it from? I ask due to the fact that you said it had predrilled holes.

Visiting Guest

01-17-05, 07:45 AM   #4  
smilin-eyes
Thank you

Thanks for the help. I will try that. And yes it probably did come with some sort of bracket but since I bought it at a garage sale I don't have them or know what type of system it was.

I will try drilling new holes in the vanity to line up with the studs and let ya know if that works.

Thanks again.

smilin-eyes

Search this Thread