What type of patching?

Old 01-24-05, 08:00 PM
Yellowlab310
Visiting Guest
What type of patching?

I am new to home remodeling, so I have a few questions about finishing work. I dont know what type of filler to use for different surfaces. Like say for instance you are filling in a small gap in a corner piece for trim, would you use a wood putty? What about where sheet rock meets with trim work, like say a chair railing, could you use spackling, or would you use caulking. If its along the bottom of baseboards, or say in a bathroom where it connects to the sink, you would just use caulking right? Those are the kinda things that I am not sure about, any info appreciated or other types of sealents that I am missing.

FLY NAVY

Last edited by Yellowlab310; 01-24-05 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 02:38 PM
Like say for instance you are filling in a small gap in a corner piece for trim, would you use a wood putty?
Yes wood putty would be the best solution there if it's a stained trim, if the trim is to be painted, painter's caulk of spackling would be fine to use.

What about where sheet rock meets with trim work, like say a chair railing, could you use spackling, or would you use caulking.
For something like this I would suggest a colored caulk, take a look in the caulk aisle and you'll find caulk comes in a wide range of colors.

If its along the bottom of baseboards
Generally you wouldn't put anything here, as the floor covering will usually cover any gaps. If not I'd recommend a colored caulk to match the trim color.

say in a bathroom where it connects to the sink, you would just use caulking right?
Always use a silicone or water proof caulk in a bathroom, where there's a high potential of water getting on the floor.

When buying caulk, take the time to read the labels on the various caulks, it will describe what materials and applications that specific product is designed for use on. Hope that helps out a bit.

Old 01-26-05, 08:46 PM
Yellowlab310
Visiting Guest
you da man, thanks for the help