Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

filling in between rock wall and window frame

filling in between rock wall and window frame


Old 01-25-05, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
filling in between rock wall and window frame

We recently bought a house in a warmer clime. It has rock walls and 2x4's for framing the windows. The vertical columns of rock wall do not meet the window frames smoothly, lots of gaps from 0" to 1.5". We would like to cement these 6' vertical gaps, but don't know if cement is really the way to go. Also, is there a chaulking product like cement that could get into the gaps better than trowelling cement?

Advice is welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 02:22 PM
awesomedell's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,425
There is a product, can't recall the exact name of it, but it's basically mortar in a tube. Works well for small repairs, but can get kinda pricey if you're trying to fill in any significant amount of area. Personally I would suggest you go to your local home center or lumber yard and pick up a bag of mortar mix and a grout bag. It comes in a dry powder form, and just contains portland cement and sand, no aggregate. You add water just like a sack concrete and once you've got it mixed up you put it into the grout bag and then you can squeeze it out into the gaps around the windows. Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-05, 12:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
weighing the costs

Thanks for the advice. We'll cost it out. Hopefully the putty idea will win (much simpler).

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes