Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

More skim coating questions..

Visiting Guest

02-03-05, 12:35 PM   #1  
jillofalltrades
More skim coating questions..

Geez.. timing is everything.. I just read the last thread on skim coating and realize I have started out wrong. While I don't think my errors are fatal, I would like to know the best way to get back on course.

I removed the wallpaper in my bathroom only to find some pretty bad walls. There were areas where patches of paint had come off..

I got some lightweight joint compound and filled in the low areas. Then I sanded some. And then I applied more joint compound. And sanded more. I haven't used any primer yet.. oops! Thought I'd do that after I was done - just before painting.. I haven't entirely covered all the wall surface yet, so now that I read how to thin the compound, mix it, and roll it on, I'm going to do that. But.. what about that primer? Should I prime and then skim coat? And then prime again?

I was going to get off this here p.c. and head out for some primer and paint.. Now I guess I'll need a roller cover too...

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

MO

02-05-05, 09:26 PM   #2  
If the mud is bonding to the wall ok without any blistering or bubbling, you should be ok t ofinish the skim coat & the ndo the primer. Are you havin fun yet Jill?

Visiting Guest

02-05-05, 11:01 PM   #3  
jillofalltrades
Dell,

Thanks for your reply! The mud appears to be sticking. So, I'll skim coat and prime as advised. As for whether or not I am having fun - I really am. As odd as it seems - I am most happy when I am in the midst of a remodeling project. THAT is my bliss.. (I think I must be crazy..) When I walk in my bathroom I don't see it as it is, but as it will be when I get finished.

The kitchen I did looks awesome. My friends are so impressed. If I could make a decent living, I'd do this full-time. (Actually, I plan to sell this house and move onto the next, and then another. By the third house I should be able to quit my day job and remodel full-time..)

So, if things go as planned, I'll be posting millions of questions.. lol

Thanks again for your help!!

MO

02-06-05, 05:48 AM   #4  
Sounds like a plan, you go girl.

Visiting Guest

02-06-05, 03:23 PM   #5  
jillofalltrades
I applied the skim coating today and am waiting for it to dry. Plan on priming on Wednesday.. One nice thing about being a single woman and doing this, I used the beater from my kitchen mixer in my Dewault drill.. It worked, and there was no one to yell at me for that.. (Gentlemen, don't try that at home!!) LOL

Search this Thread