Plaster over wall glue?

Old 02-14-05, 07:58 PM
julie2916
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Plaster over wall glue?

I'm trying to remodel my bathroom. The previous owner put up panneling with glue. I have removed the panneling and am having trouble getting the glue off. Can I put more plaster over the glue? Is there a way to easily remove the glue?
Please help!

Old 02-14-05, 08:19 PM
T
Received 53 Upvotes on 45 Posts
If the walls are real plaster you can try a sharp chisel and see if you can shave it off. If they are real plaster you could try heat to soften the glue. Heat from the hottest setting on a hair dryer might be enough. Then try shaving it off.
If the walls are drywall about your only hope is heat. Anything else will probabaly damage the gypsum panels.

Yes, I suppose you could use a bonding agent and plaster over the walls but unless you are skilled with a hawk and trowel you will probably be disappointed with the results. If the walls are drywall you might be as well off to replace them with new drywall. This will give you a chance to upgrade the wiring and plumbing if it is needed and maybe even upgrade the insulation.

Whole houses have been remodeled because someone wanted to take out a medicine cabinet. Be careful you don'g bite off more than you want to chew.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: