Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can't find the stud

Visiting Guest

02-21-05, 09:16 PM   #1  
gybe-it
Can't find the stud

I have completed my taping and have sealed the drywall in my two project rooms, but now I can't find the studs with a stud finder for the crown molding. I have tried two different ones and both of the show a calibration error. Yet they both work fine in other rooms that I have not done yet. Any thoughts are suggestion as to why they don't work, and how this hurdle can be jumped.

Sponsored Links

02-22-05, 06:46 AM   #2  
If you can't calibrate it contact the maker of the tool,and see what they say.This assumes you know how to calibrate it properly and it doesn't work just in these 2 rooms and that you didn't use any weird products on the wall that might affect penetration of the waves into the wall. In the meantime you have to be able to find 1 stud on each wall. Look for 1 not too near a corner or next to a window and plumb a line up to the ceiling anduse a finisn nail to prob the stud sides then find the middle and measure 16" in either direction to find the middle of the next stud. I hope you provided a nailing surface in the 2 walls that will be running parallel with the ceiling joists in the likely event one does not fall exactly where you need it

If you can't find a stud ---congats on the perfect job you did with the drywall

Visiting Guest

02-22-05, 06:56 AM   #3  
gybe-it
Well all my drywall work was repairing. I had to retape the corners after having the foundation fixed, replace a few small sections where there were holes etc. And because I was not actually hanging drywall, I was not able to install a nailing board on the two walls parallel to the joist. And as I discovered last night, the joist do not fall where I need them to. No now I will have to consider an alternative method for providing a solid foundation for the crown moulding. And to think, I thought it was going to be the compound miter cuts that would be tough.

02-22-05, 07:41 AM   #4  
Once you trial fit the piece that runs parallel with the wall run a seam of PAINTABLE ADHESIVE caulk down the edge that will be resting on the ceiling. Leave a spot evey 2' or so and on each end and right before you put it up put some hot melt glue in the spaces between the caulk. Put some small marks on the wall and ceiling where the moulding has to go and press it into place on these lines Put it up and hold it till it stays put. You will probably need another person 'cause when the glue sets it gets hard and can't be pushed up anymore.Try not to have any glue showing after you push it up to the ceiling, in other words don't put on too much and don't put it too close to the edge. Once the HM glue dries nail the bottom to the studs. Do not let go of the moulding till the nails are in the studs. This is why you need 2 people at least. There are hot melts with different setting times. Don't get the fastest, get like 45 seconds or so.

This will work unless you are putting up some heavy wood moulding. It may still work if you add more glue spots. Although the hotmelt glue helps to hold up the moulding it is ultimately held up by the adhesive caulk.I you are using foam moulding make sure it won't melt the foam. There are also low temp adhesives that will work with foam I guess I have never tried them though

Visiting Guest

02-22-05, 09:04 AM   #5  
gybe-it
The glue sounds like a great idea. Another thought I had was cut a square board to match the angle of the light weight molding. Screw the cut board into the header along the perimeter, and than brad nail the molding into the board. I am also going to go into the attic and see if I can add a nailing board from above. I can't figure out what the deal is with the stud finder. All rooms have drywall joint compound. The only thing these two rooms have that the others don't is a Sherwin Williams sealer.

Visiting Guest

02-22-05, 02:21 PM   #6  
gybe-it
Solution Found

I talked to the stud finder manufacturer (Zurec). They said that problem is the sealer is not fully cured (6-8 weeks), and is there for has a similar density to the studs that I am looking for. They recomended using there deep stud finder but to be cautious the info may be eronous. After exchanging stud finders, I find that the deep finder does locate the studs to some degree. It finds the centers okay but it acts as if the stud is two inches wide. But center is all I need so I am in good shape.

Search this Thread