Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

poor quality wall under wallpaper

Visiting Guest

03-11-05, 03:06 PM   #1  
joedeloca
poor quality wall under wallpaper

can anyone tell me how to make this wall smooth or texture it myself?

Sponsored Links

MO

03-11-05, 08:06 PM   #2  
Hi Joe and welcome to the forums!

You're going to have to give us a bit more to go on. What's the "poor quality wall under the wallpaper" comprised of? Standard sheetrock, traditional plaster over lath, or veneer plaster over blue board? How old is the house, has it ever been remodeled? The more info we have the better advice you get in return. I've sprayed gardz over wallpaper on old plaster walls where the wallpaper was bonded well to the wall & then shot med splatter texture on that and then put another coat of Tuff-Hide Primer over that and the walls looked like brand new. Post back with a bit more info and let's see what we're lookin at.

03-13-05, 05:13 AM   #3  
need more info-plaster? cracks?paint?
what are you going to do on the wall after?

Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 07:08 AM   #4  
TinaSC
We too have bad walls to work with

Some of our walls have holes in the plaster about 1 inch across and 1/2 inch deep. Cracks are about as wide as you can geta toothpick in. I am not sure what is under the plaster though. Can anyone tell us what to do to get these ready to paint? Thanks!

Tina in SC

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-21-05, 05:12 PM   #5  
Posted By: TinaSC Some of our walls have holes in the plaster about 1 inch across and 1/2 inch deep. Cracks are about as wide as you can geta toothpick in. I am not sure what is under the plaster though. Can anyone tell us what to do to get these ready to paint? Thanks!

Tina in SC
For the most part you can patch everything with spackling. On the cracks take a screwdriver or edge of a putty knife and score the cracks then patch and sand as needed. The holes may be a little harder, if there is lath or plaster behind the hole you should be able to just patch it but if it is a open hole you will need to either plug it or tape over it [drywall tape set on wet mud, dry then recoat]

Search this Thread