Drywall repair for towel rod.

Old 03-13-05, 05:48 PM
rransi
Visiting Guest
Drywall repair for towel rod.

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this.. but here is my situation (I am a complete newbie in matters of home repair)

The other day my son leaned over the towel rod in the bathroom, and the right side just came off. I patched the drywall and installed the rod again, at the same point that was damaged earlier. But it stayed only two days before breaking again.

My question is how to fix this situation? I can patch the drywall and it looks fine cosmetically -- am I supposed to move the position of the towel rod and drill holes in fresh sections of the drywall or is it possible to repair the existing ripped holes and make them strong enough to hold the rod again?

Thanks.

Old 03-14-05, 09:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Well it depends on if we have to fix this so the towel bar will hold towels, or does it have to hold little boys as well. Trust me as the Dad of 4 boys, I know exactly what you're talking about. Youngest one is 12 now, I figure I've got at least two more yrs before he out grows the little monkey stage. It's a constant battle! But has great rewards, the oldest is out on his own now with a job & everything, I'm so proud & relieved.

Anyway, if we can keep the kids from swinging on it, you could just cut out say like a 6" square around the hole. Best way is to cut your patch piece and then lay it on the wall and draw a pencil line around it, then cut along the line with your drywall saw or rotozip (drywall router). viola, your patch fits the hole perfectly! Now use some 1"x, strips of 1/2" or better plywood, 2"x, whatever scraps you've got that are at least 3" wide. You use these as backer boards to screw the patch piece of drywall into. Hold them inside the wall with half of the face exposed in the hole and the run screws in thru the wall into the backer board, Put one screw in near each corner and one in the middle of the side, on each side do this. Now set your patch piece of drywall in place and screw it down, & you're ready to mud & tape.

If you want to really make it sturdy, cut a larger rectangle shape piece that runs from stud to stud at the proper level. You'll need to go out past the stud at each end of the proper position for the towel bar. Make the hole about 12" tall. Now cut some lengths of 2"x4" and install it as blocking between the studs where the towel bar will go. Fit it into place between the studs and then use like 2-1/2" screws and fasten thru the stud & into the end of the blocking, repeat on each end of the block and for both ends of the towel bar.

Now patch up the drywall like was described above and you're ready to paint and finally reinstall the towel bar. And the towel bar will hold up little boys as well as towels, cause there's always gonna be that irresistable moment of tempation when your back is turned Dad.

Or if you've got a 32" towel bar, locate the studs and reposition it so both ends land on a stud, providing it's framed on 16" centers, should be, but not always, especially in older homes.

Hope that helps out. Good luck.

Old 03-15-05, 07:12 AM
rransi
Visiting Guest
Thank you awesomedell. Appreciated!!

Old 03-15-05, 09:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glad to help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: