Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Another Skim Coating Thread - SandTextured Walls

Old 03-23-05, 07:11 AM
wofat
Visiting Guest

I just finished reading THIS thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=192353

which somewhat applies to my situation, but I have a few questions. Hope you guys (and gals!) can help!

I have a room that was painted with a fairly fine grit sand paint (dark green to be exact). The walls have the texture of about 100 grit sandpaper. Anyway, in searching for how to remove this stuff, I was basically told to skim coat the entire room, so that's my plan.

Anyway, do I need to primer or seal it in any way? Also, is this the kind of job where putting on the joint compount with a roller with a longer napp is an option? Any suggestions or better ways to accomplish this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-05, 03:15 PM
You don't have to prime before hand. I would scrape down as much of that finish as possible, and sand a little. Then skim over it. Put on just as much mud as it takes so you don't get chatters. The chatter marks will be caused by the sand. Two or three coats should do. You should sand a little in between coats. Then when your satisfied with the job then prime and paint.

Old 03-23-05, 03:29 PM
wofat
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

Old 03-23-05, 05:53 PM
wofat
Visiting Guest
I am begining to believe the texture may not have been as big of a deal as I thought. I began by doing just a little bit of sanding with a medium grit screen and it smooths things out quite nicely, probably more than enough that primer and paint will have it completely smoothed out. I think? Any opinions on that?

The only issue now seems to be the sanding screen becomes clogged at the edges almost immediately (I can complete about a 3' x 3' patch). Will a regular sandpaper stand the abuse a bit better?

Old 03-23-05, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try scraping the wall with a broad knife first. Be gentle so you don't scar the wall and make more work for yourself. Then sand and patch if necessary. Usually screen outlast paper but try a sheet of 100 or 120 grit and see if it does better.