Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

electrician punching holes in plaster -- repair?

VA

04-05-05, 10:15 AM   #1  
electrician punching holes in plaster -- repair?

Having recessed lights installed in my living room. Presently, the room is not wired. The electrician is gonna run some wiring from the existing feed up the wall and into the ceiling. My understanding is that it's going to require a hole toward the top of the wall for him to fish the line through. The electrician will repair the wall, but I don't want a half-done job, especially since that wall where he'd be working had some water damage and is a bit delicate (the plumbing for the upstairs bathroom runs through that wall). So, my question is what kind of repair the hole in the wall will need? Meaning, he's punching through the lath, etc...so is just patching with compound sufficient? Is some sort of backing necessary (for the compound to adhere to)?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links

CAL

04-05-05, 04:18 PM   #2  
I'm sure there are some posts here about what you should do. Basically, yes, you need some backing. I like metal lath. The drywallers among us will tell you to use drywall or blue board. If there is sufficient thickness that will work. You might have to enlarge the hole to find something to nail or screw the drywall to.
I like gypsum/sand plaster but you could use StructoLite of Gypslite plaster. For a finish you can use a setting type of drywall compound like EasySand or a competitor. They are more user friendly than plaster finishes. If you decide to do it yourself we can get more specific. Unless the electrician is pretty experienced you will be better off finding a plasterer or getting very specific advice here.

Search this Thread