drywall mud flaking from ceiling

Old 04-05-05, 07:01 PM
drywall mud flaking from ceiling

The previous owners of our house used drywall mud to cover the bedroom ceilings and textured it in some type of sunburst look (I've heard you do it buy plunging a mop up on the ceiling. Some of it is flaking off around the light fixtures.

I'm going to scrape all of the loose texture off and re-texture it. If I mix drywall mud, water, and some white ceiling paint, what consistency should I look for and what exactly do I use to match that texture that I described? It's not a particularly large area or I would consider scraping it all off.

Troup

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-05, 01:43 AM
Texture was probably done with a brush like one of these:Texture Brushes You should be able find one at your local lumber yd or hardware store they also have them available from the doityourself online store.

You will most likely need to paint the whole ceiling after the repair to totally hide it. It would be a good idea to primer the area after it's scraped and before you apply the texture, this will make the new mud stick to the ceiling better. I like the mud to be kind of stiff like a peanut butter consistency when doing this type of finish. Hope that helps a bit.

Old 04-08-05, 06:05 AM
well, I tried to patch it last night and it looked pretty good when I left. However, when I came back this morning and it had dried, it was obvious that I didn't get it thick enough. The design looks good but you can see the outline and the ceiling through the patch job. I'll try again with a thicker mixture. I had read to mix it to the consistency of soft serve icecream. Peanut butter should work better!

Old 04-08-05, 06:07 PM
You can give it another go, but I imagine you'll still have to paint the whole ceiling to make it look right. Good luck.

Search this Thread