Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cracks in plastered wall. [Merged Posts]

05-01-05, 11:18 AM   #1  
Cracks in plastered wall.

The 65 yr old house we're remodeling has plastered walls that have been painted and papered then paneled. We took the paneling off and are in the process of scraping all the loose paint, wallpaper off.I'm filling any holes with patching plaster and on one wall where there were quite a few cracks in the wall we used grinder to make them a little bigger and I patched them with the patching plaster. Will this hold up or should I have used the mesh tape and mud? I plan to skim the wall before priming and painting.

Sponsored Links

CAL

05-01-05, 04:37 PM   #2  
If the building is still moving, no, it won't hold up. If there is no movement it might. There are some things that might have made it better. If you did these and didn't tell us that's OK. Did you either wet the existing work before you patched or did you paint the existing raw edges with some bonding agent?
If you intend to skim the walls I would suggest that you go over the patched cracks with some paper, not mesh tape and setting joint compound. This might allow a little movement behind the tape and maybe won't come through the new finish.
It occurs to me that maybe the cracked wall is beat up from the panelling. If the plaster is loose from the lath or the lath are loose from the studs maybe you would be better off either drywalling over the existing (yes, I know all the problems with reveals and casings and moldings) or removing the existing plaster, maybe the lath and installing new drywall.

I am a plasterer and it hurts me to suggest taking plaster off of walls. If there are other ways to fix it I think you should try them first.

05-02-05, 01:01 AM   #3  
This is a brick house (67 yrs old) and I don't think the building is moving at all. THe wall is very solid and does not feel like it is loose at all....we found that the plaster was put over a brick with grooves in it (probably made for that reason). This is a 14x27' room and all the walls are solid...just a mess from paint, wallpaper, paneling, etc. I've removed all the loose materials and scrapped all that I could ..patched holes and am ready to try the skimming. We had planned to put sheetrock over it but I'm willing to work to keep the plaster walls if possible. I could wallpaper but I'd have to skim the walls first before I could even do that...am hoping to be able to paint them not paper them. Thanks so much for your input here. I'm trying not to get stressed over this... the house is empty so there's no big rush..I plan to open a machine quilting business in it when I retire in a year.
Any more info you could give me on this project would be greatly appreciated.

05-02-05, 01:03 AM   #4  
What about the hairline cracks.

One of the walls has quite a few hairline cracks...I mean really fine...what's the easiest and best way to handle them?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-02-05, 02:46 AM   #5  
Only way to get rid of them is to scratch them out and fill them. Just painting over them may make them less noticable but patching is the only way to get rid of them.

CAL

05-02-05, 04:43 AM   #6  
It sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask if you need more advice. The advice you get here is worth evey cent of what it costs you.

05-02-05, 01:02 PM   #7  
Need more help!

O.k. I'm getting the cracks in the plaster wall filled and sanded..do I need to wash the wall down again and do I need to prep the walls with something before I skim them? Also, do you sometimes need to do 2 coats of the skim or will one do? I guess if the walls aren't smooth enough for me I could always do some texture painting .

05-04-05, 06:48 AM   #8  
I dig them out with a Dremel cutting wheel then fill in with spackling.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

05-20-05, 10:15 AM   #9  
Hello: crider

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and reduces the confusions reading and following along on the question.

Thanks
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread