Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

When will my newly plastered ceiling be dry?

Old 05-08-05, 05:32 PM
emilyh
Visiting Guest

Hello,

I just had my kitchen, Living room, dining room and entry hall ceilings plastered after a friend scraped off a popcorn ceiling down to the dry wall.

The plastering contractors came two weeks ago on a rainy day and did the job. I've been running a dehumidifier and the celing looks mottled now. Do you think it is dry enough to put the sealer/primer on yet? I bought some drywall sealer/primer and on the can is says make sure the ceiling has cured for 30 days before painting. Does this mean I need to wait 2 more weeks or does it mean after I put the sealer on I have to wait 30 days for it to cure?

Thanks!

Emily

Old 05-09-05, 08:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"make sure the ceiling has cured for 30 days before painting"

painting, sealing in this case the same thing. Wait the 30 days and if it is still mottled then wait longer.

Old 05-09-05, 09:59 AM
emilyh
Visiting Guest
Thanks! Wow, I didn't think it would take so long.

After it dries, is a latex drywall sealer ok to use or should I use something else? The plasterer said I could just "get some drywall sealer/primer from Home Depot" for it.

Also, does it make any difference how it is applied? I have someone who might be able to spray it on when it is ready or should it be rolled on?

Thanks again,

Emily

Old 05-09-05, 10:18 AM
J
Get some bullseye 123 from the depot and use that for the primer. Plaster is alkali and this in better imo. You could spray the primer on I guess, but with all the prep work it seems a little much. since you will probably be rolling the walls. and ceiling different color. Sometims spraying don't come out so hot if it is not done professionally.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11

Just saw that it is only the ceilings. Spray if you want but it is a lot of prep the paint falls everywhere. It is pretty hard to just paint the ceilings and not the walls. The wall ceiling joint sometimes looks bad. It may be better to mask everything and spray walls and ceiling with primer than spray the ceilingand then roller and brush the walls. Just a suggestion.

Old 05-09-05, 08:05 PM
J
now that I think about it you are probably better off spraying the ceilings especially if you aren't doing the walls. You can get a nice clean line if you mask the walls right.

Old 05-09-05, 08:44 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've never sprayed. My concerns would be overspray. Guess I'm old fashioned. I love Zinnser and it's the only primer/sealer I buy. I always roll.

My concern is the friend who removed the popcorn and you. If this is an older (built before 1980) structure it may have contained asbestos. The only way to know for sure is to have it tested. Not all popcorn contains asbestos. Once asbestos fibers become airborne and enter the lungs it can pose some major respiratory issues. It can lie dormant for 10 years before asbestiosis becomes active. And, it poses even greater risks for smokers.

Old 05-09-05, 09:31 PM
J
spray or roll your still going to have to protect the walls[rolling will splatter on walls], floors, furniture,counters etc. either way you will also need to tape the wall ceiling line so no paint gets on the wall at all. I may be wrong but I got the impression that if it is rolled on emilyh will be doing the painting and if it is sprayed someone else will be doing it. It is always easier when someone else is doing the work,of that I am sure

Spraying will produce a better looking job quicker as long as the guy doing it is competent. Whether or not you spray or roll I would use floetrol in the paint,but not the primer, if you use the zinsser primer.

http://www.floodco.com/Products/floetrol.cfm

Hopefully there was no asbestos in the popcorn, but if there was it's too late now. If it is in anybody's lungs it isn't coming out. The basement of my house when I was a kid was loaded with asbestos wrapped pipes that we used to hit with sticks and watch the smoke and stuff come out of them. To this day 40+years later I do not have any ill effects from breathing it in. Neither does anybody in my family,and this was the good stuff ---straight asbestos-- no additives.

To pre-empt any strikes we did not know about asbestos then!!!!!!

Old 05-10-05, 05:32 AM
emilyh
Visiting Guest
I bought the house when it was built in December of 1988 so I don't think we have to worry about asbestos.

I have help including a contractor that is sort of a jack of all trades that uses an assistant when he uses the sprayer. He says the assistant works the sprayer and he follows along with the roller. I wanted to avoid having him just doing painting( especially just priming) by himself with a roller due to the fact that he charges $40 an hour and I figured, I could handle at least putting the primer on. I also have a friend who has done a lot of painting and I thought I might be able to twist his arm to get him to do it.

I have other rooms in the house that I need done that aren't as important as that room so I thought I'd try the contactor/handyman out with his other guy and the sprayer in those rooms and see how it goes.

People exposed to asbestos or any other poisening or radiation for that matter would best be served by incorporating miso and sea vegetables into their diet. Vietnam vets who were exposed to agent orange that did this after the Vietnam war avoided contracting cancer whereas those that came home and immediately went on a standard American diet weren't as lucky and did get cancer. Sea vegetables absorb toxins and they taste great in soups or mixed in with cooked vegetables. You can get them in any good health food store.

I checked and the closest place I can get Floetrol, according to the website that that link brought me to is over 60 miles away from me unless I buy it on-line.

Thanks for all your input!

Emily

Old 05-10-05, 07:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
Emily

Most paint stores and lowes,home depot carry floetrol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: