Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

re-blowing popcorn ceilings

MO

05-13-05, 11:58 AM   #1  
re-blowing popcorn ceilings

for comparison's sake, what do you drywall pro's charge for blowing a new popcorn ceiling over an old existing bad-looking popcorn ceiling? if possible, throw out a ballpark figure for:

1. re-blowing a 3-level 3200 sq foot house, (2-story with a basement), regular 8' tall ceilings.

2. and then compare that with another ballpark for scraping off the old popcorn & refinishing the ceiling with a knockdown texture. (assume no asbestos).

3. and then compare that with covering the old ceiling with new drywall & finishing that! (is that asking too much?? )

i'd guess #1 is the least expensive route, right? so, can you just blow the new popcorn over the old, or is there prep work to be done? also, will it turn out perfectly white & wonderful, or will it be blotchy & need to be painted? (15 years ago, my mother had this done and you could see faint grid lines everywhere, like they did it in sections or something).

thanks!

Last edited by Annette; 05-13-05 at 12:59 PM.

Sponsored Links

KS

05-17-05, 07:28 AM   #2  
I think spraying over the old stuff would be cheapest but you will have to paint over that to make it look good. Sounds like if you scrape it off you will need to do a lot of repair. That might be most expensive. You are looking at $1 per square foot to $1.25 a square foot. In my opinion, if it's in really bad shape, I would hang new drywall over the old. Then you will have a brand new ceiling. Good luck

Last edited by Annette; 05-18-05 at 06:43 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-17-05, 10:10 AM   #3  
If the popcorn is adhered well to the ceiling it would be cheaper to just paint it.

MO

05-17-05, 10:16 AM   #4  
the problem isn't that it's in perfect shape and merely discolored, it's in BAD shape, as in poorly patched and sort of smooth around some perimeters, etc. it needs to be fixed, not just painted.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-17-05, 05:28 PM   #5  
I've never been fond of popcorn and would opt to scrape and replace with knockdown BUT that is the most expensive fix. Not knowing how bad the ceiling looks now I can't say with certainty but I have retexture partial ceilings and got them to blend in. Whatever you wind up doing it will be a messy job involving a lot of cover up and a lot of clean up. If you opt to do it yourself you can turn a big job into many small ones by just doing 1 room at a time. Wish you luck

MO

05-18-05, 06:40 AM   #6  
what's the best way (if there even IS a way) to patch popcorn ceilings? is the stuff in the spray can good, or is there an actual compound of some sort that has the little popcorn balls in it? in the past, i've tried just regular joint compound & tried to sort of stipple it on but it gave a different texture than the popcorn - more of little pointy inverted peaks, instead of balls.

for the most part, the ceiling's in pretty ok shape, i guess, but some places are smooth, like around the perimeter of one room, and i'll be taking down some awful track lighting in one room, which i'm assuming will leave some sort of mark/damage.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-18-05, 05:47 PM   #7  
I have never used the spray cans of texture but I assume they work well in small areas. Popcorn texture is sold in bags that you mix with water. They have 3 different sizes [of popcorn] fine, medium and coarse. Fine and medium are the most popular. It is sprayed on using a hopper gun. I have heard of people trying to roll it on but I don't know if that works well or not. On repair jobs I have always scraped any loose popcorn, repaired any damaged rock or tape and then respray the affected area being careful to blend it in with the old texture. It usually takes a coat of paint when dry to get it to completely blend in. On small areas I would be tempted to try the spray can or mix some popcorn texture and dob it on with a sponge. Hope this helps

KS

05-19-05, 06:19 AM   #8  
Spray cans don't work. I'm not sure whats in the can but it's definitely not mud. Use a hopper.

Search this Thread