smoothing textured walls


Old 06-04-05, 09:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Exclamation smoothing textured walls

Does anyone know of a product that can be rolled on over orange peel to smooth it out in preparation for a finish (such as Venetian Plaster)? I'm looking for a self smoothing or levelling compound that would save me the step of sanding the wall smooth.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 12:24 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,615
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
its called watered down drywall mud. Search this site for - skim coating-. This will not be too difficult for you. All you have to do is fill in between the dimples. Just ride the knife on the wall. Done by supper
Old 06-06-05, 11:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
roll it on?

Thanks....but would you recommend watering it down enough to roll it on? How much water?
Old 06-06-05, 12:25 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,615
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I hate to skim coat so I have never really rolled it on, but you can do it that way. How much is up to you to decide. I would make it pretty loose. You have to make sure the roller can roll and not slide. Once it starts to roll and leave compound on the wall that's it.

As I said before ll you have to do is fill in the dimples and when you are done the wall will be smooth. When you roll it on you have to still use the spackle knife to take most of it off. Some people want to repair walls and need to leave like 1/8 " on the wall. This is much more difficult.

If you thin it enough to roll It will dry very quickly. You may need to roll on a little then take off what is necessary immediately then repeat. Maybe awsomedell wll post. He may have some timesaving techniques.

Whatever you do you need to mix the compound very well. It may say ready to use but it is not. It will go much easier with smooth compound.

What you could do is go to the bottom of this page and see where it says display options click from the and select the last 100 days then click show threads and look for anything to do with skin coating.
Old 06-06-05, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 46,251
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
IMO skim coating [applying with broad knife] is a lot easier and quicker. As joneq said the joint compound must be thinned a little. If you are a little overwhelmed by skim coating a whole wall, you can break it up into smaller sections. Just getting rid of the orange peel does not take much mud. Just apply the mud and then remove it with the knife [the wider the better] all that needs to be left on the wall is a little in the low spots of the orange peel.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: