skimming a wall??

Old 06-15-05, 01:54 PM
vguthrie
Visiting Guest
skimming a wall??

We just bought a new house and i've been tearing down the wallpaper. Under the wall paper is some sort of primer, under the primer almost looks like a plastic wall? the primer is pealing off like a thin layer of plastic? My mom said that it sound like we will need to skim the wall?? she said to use drywall mud and smooth over the wall, when it's half way dry she said to use a sponge to smooth it out? wanted to get a second opinion. thanks Vanessa

Old 06-15-05, 05:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
You need to determine what the wall is made of. I suspect that it may have enamel paint that is peeling. Mud may not adhere to the glossy areas but your mother is correct in that you need to skim the affected areas to get them level with the rest of the wall. IMO sanding does a better job than a wet sponge BUT!! smoothing it out with a wet sponge produces no dust. It is better to let the mud dry first and then take a wet sponge [it will slightly rewet the mud] to smooth it out. If you do it with the mud 1/2 dry your are likely just to smear it around. After the drywall work is done prime everything with a good bonding primer.

Old 06-16-05, 11:08 AM
vguthrie
Visiting Guest
skimming a wall??

Thanks! never done much decorating on my own, but don't have a bunch of money to pay someone. the more i look at the wall maybe it's just another old layer of glossy paint. What do you think about rolling on texture??

Old 06-16-05, 11:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
30 years ago a lot of texture [mostly walls] was rolled on. The biggest problem is getting the corners to look similiar to the open areas. Texture may not stick to the glossy areas so make sure they are sanded well first [may need primer]

Most everyone learns by doing. If it turns out great - you have bragging rights. If its not so good but you can live with well look at the money you saved and you do know more for next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: