Repairing plaster walls in 1920s bathroom

Old 07-05-05, 02:49 PM
jayclark
Visiting Guest
Repairing plaster walls in 1920s bathroom

The plaster walls in the bathroom have finally given into the moisture and the paint has started to flake off and cracks have appeared in the ceiling and walls. What are the steps I need to take to repair the cracks and most importantly, how do I prepare the plaster walls for repainting? Are there special sealing compounds I need to use on plaster in bathrooms where there is a very high amount of moisture? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 06:39 AM
Captain
Visiting Guest
the best way that i have seen it done and i have done it a few times myself is to take a router or a rotozip and take it right down the crack and make a good crevus so that the spackling wiill fill in and when you spackle it make sure you take the putty knife and get all the access off and then let dry and then sand,then paint.Also spackle when the paint has chipped of also.

Old 07-12-05, 06:40 AM
Good idea to v out the crack to get all the loose stuff off. pre fill with quick set mud. Tape over the cracks and mud till flush. Scape off all loose paint and fill in voids with mud till flush. Re paint with a good quality moisture resistant paint.