"Popcorn Ceiling"

Old 07-07-05, 07:41 AM
laura_n_ny
Visiting Guest
Question "Popcorn Ceiling"

My husband and I recently bought a older home, built in the 1860's. This house has not been well maintained over the years, and needs ALOT of work, but I loved it and my husband agreed to purchase the house due to that. I agreed to do the "grunt" work like scraping the ceilings, tearing down walls etc and he would perform the task of replacing toilets, tubs etc. My question is, Is there a easy way to get that dang popcorn plaster off of the ceiling? I have spent 2 days on the bathroom and it is only 8 x 10, and have only gotten the pointy things off the ceiling. Anyone have any ideas to make this easier? I still have a 20x 20 livingroom, 20 x 20 kitchen and 2 - 12 x 12 bedrooms to do the same with the ceilings.
Any help, advice, or regrets( ) will be appreciated.
Thanx, Laura

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-05, 08:35 AM
You could browse through herefor starters, The basic idea is to thoroughly wet the surface as completely as possible without damaging the underlying surface.If you have any oil based paint on the ceiling I think you may be in trouble. Hope not.

Old 07-07-05, 01:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be a good idea to find out how old the popcorn texture is. If it was applied 30 or more years ago there is a good chance that it has asbestos in it. I have never liked popcorn in bath rooms. The only chance it has of holding up where moisture is present is to have a good coat of enamel applied to it. Probably what you ran into in the bath. If sanding and scraping won't remove it I would float a coat of joint compound over the ceiling. Unpainted popcorn comes off realitively easy when moist.
Again for your future health sake verify that there are no asbestos issues to deal with.

Old 07-07-05, 01:35 PM
If you have only gotten the tips off its either not popcorn or has been painted numerous times with oil based paint. Either way its not comming off. The best bet is to scrape what you can and skim coat the ceiling.

Old 07-08-05, 02:43 AM
laura_n_ny
Visiting Guest
Thanx for all the advice. I have looked through everything and everywhere. I had tried to dampened it and that was no real help. It was applied about 10 yrs. ago ( I talked to great people who put it up), actually my son and I was scraping it off, using 9 in 1 tools and ALOT of elbow grease (using dust mask and goggles) and it was working, until we came across deep, long cracks in the ceiling, so now we are replacing the ceiling. We also scraped off some in each of the other rooms to also expose more cracks in those ceilings as well, so will be replacing them also.
Thanx again for all the great help.

Last edited by laura_n_ny; 07-08-05 at 02:53 AM.