Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster repair and blueboard ?

07-19-05, 01:23 PM   #1  
Plaster repair and blueboard ?

I just finished scraping plastic tiles and glue from the walls and ceiling of my kitchen. On the ceiling as well as a section of a wall that was to badly damaged I decided to use blueboard and a 2 coat veneer plaster. I guess I have to questions:

One is has anyone on here used the blueboard and 2 coat plaster system? And how did you like it?

Also, most of the original plaster on the walls is in good shape, but has many small gouges from scraping the tile glue off. I bought enough of the veneer plaster that I will be using with the blueboard to give a skim coat to the whole kitchen. I picked up some plaster bonder to paint over the old work to make sure the new veneer plaster adheers, does this stuff work or is the new veneer just gonna start poping off the old plaster? If it won't work what are some alternatives I could use?

Thanks for the replies

deacon

Sponsored Links

CAL

07-24-05, 07:06 PM   #2  
I think you ought to use a plasterer. Veneer plaster is a good system it is not, however amateur friendly.
On the gouges on the existing walls you should not bother with the bonder and you should use a settint drywall compound like EasySand to fill them. It might take more than one coat on some gouges. That's OK as soon as a coat is set it can be given another coat. Don't put too much on at once. Less is better it means less sanding.

07-25-05, 07:43 AM   #3  
but won't there be a textural and absortion rate difference between the blueboard/veneered plastered part of the wall and the old/joint compounded part? And would this telegraph through when I paint?

thanks for the reply, I'll look in to hiring a plasterer

dieter

CAL

07-25-05, 01:54 PM   #4  
Well you could paint the whole existing wall with bonding agent and veneer plaster that. That would take care of the gouges and give you new walls all over. But this is work best done by a plasterer. It just ain't easily learned by amateurs. And while you can usually trust the bonding agent it is only as good as the paint under it. Make sure your walls are free of loose paint and clean.
I guess I must have misunderstood, I thought you had plaster throughout not drywall and plaster.

07-26-05, 09:37 AM   #5  
Well I do have plaster through-out the kithchen right now. But in the course of removing the tiles I found a section of one wall where it was to far damaged to plaster repair, so i removed the plaster in that section and hung blue board. I also hung blue board on the ceiling instead of trying to scrape off all the glue up there. My goal is to now give the whole kitchen a veneer plaster (a base and finish coat on the blue board, and just a finish coat on the existing plaster walls) so the whole kithcen is uniform. I was hoping that the veneer plaster would be able to fill in the gouges and give me a smooth wall. Thanks for the feedback I'll make sure that the walls are clean and free of debris

Search this Thread