Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

need to plaster where old door frame was

Visiting Guest

07-30-05, 07:18 AM   #1  
si02
need to plaster where old door frame was

I live in an 75 year old bungalow, have just had an extension built and have had to remove an old, unused door frame. I need to patch the plastering where the frame was so that it matches up with the existing plasterwork surrounding it. It looks as though the existing plastering is done straight on to the brick wall, is this browning and then skimming? Is that what i need to do? If so how do i bring the plaster out to the same level as the exisiting plaster? Can i use strips of plasterboard attach them to the wall and skim over that? Basically i have no idea what to do with it and would like some advice from anyone who thinks they can help. All help will be gratefully recieved!!

Sponsored Links

CAL

07-31-05, 08:46 PM   #2  
Do you intend to wrap the plaster around the rough opening or to put a facer on that and plaster to it?
The plastering proceedure is not too different but if you want to wrap the plaster around where the jamb was you will need some corner bead made for plaster. Install the beads straight and plumb as you can and still not be shy or proud of the existing plaster. Try masonry nails to hold the bead if that is too hard then you might have either to screw it or stick it with some spiked up plaster.
Paint the joining with some bonding agent and then mix some plaster and sand and use the beads (or facer board) and the existing plaster as screeds fill it fuller than flush and screed it off flush. If the walls are smooth then use some setting joint treatment (because it is more amateur friendly than plaster finish) and give it a couple coats and then texture to match or if it's smooth sand prime and paint. This is a simple fix really but if you think you are out of your league try to find a plasterer.

Visiting Guest

08-02-05, 10:55 AM   #3  
si02
thanks alot for the help tightcoat, undecided as yet wether to have a go myself or use a plasterer!!

Search this Thread