Help With Old Plaster Walls

Old 08-14-05, 03:57 PM
LindaF1
Visiting Guest
Help With Old Plaster Walls

I have a living room and dining room that are in desparate need of a new paint job. Unfortunatley I have a few problems. We have a real wood burning fireplace, without glass doors, that we use often in this cold Buffalo, NY area. After about ten years since we last painted, these walls in these two rooms got heavily soiled from the fireplace. I want to repaint this fall. The existing walls are made of old plaster and lathe. They have many ripples, uneven spots and hairline cracks. I am afraid to use any paint finish other than a "flat" wall paint because the shinier finishes seem to exagerate the uneven walls. I would love to do the venetian plaster technique on the walls and ceilings of these two adjoining rooms, but wondered if it would be ok to apply it over the exisiting plaster plaster? Also, due to the need to 'repaint' or clean more often, because of our fireplace, would venetian plaster be a practical choice? Any advice here would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 04:06 PM
There are paint techniques and materials that are called Venetian plaster. About these I know nothing. There are several brands of material made with lime and limestone materials that are Venetian plaster. I web search will find some of these. These are not amateur friendly. You can visit www.usg.com and nose around there for Decorative Interior Finish System (DIFS). This is real plaster material. This is not amateur friendly.

If you are set on doing this yourself first clean the walls with TSP or a strong ammonia solution use the non sudsy type. There are bonding agents made for all these materials that will let them be used over plaster. The bond is only as good as the existing paint.

Let us know what else you learn and what you do.