patching/repairing swirled ceilings

Old 08-14-05, 05:57 PM
Hawk80
Visiting Guest
Question patching/repairing swirled ceilings

I recently had to patch a 1'x1' hole in my ceiling. I am now in the process of trying to match the swirl marks in the ceiling that are already there. Is there any tips or techniques I should use? Is there a special brush that makes this possible? I purchased a 4" round brush that goes on the end of a pole that looks like it might be a close match to the swirls. Should the swirls themselves be drywall mud or paint? If it is mud then will I need to thin it down? Any input you can give me on this is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are referring to a 'stomp ceiling' the most common method of application is to thin the joint compound down with water, roll it on and stomp it with the brush [wet brush first]. Real thin mud will result in a light texture, heavy mud in a heavy texture. You'll need to adjust for the right consistency to match what you have.
Just reread your post and since it is only 1sq foot you maybe able to apply the mud with just the brush. Be sure the brush is wet with water before sticking it in the mud or it won't apply right.

Old 09-02-05, 07:05 AM
Does it look like there is sand in the swirl pattern. If there is then put silica sand in the paint and do it that way. If not then use thinned down drywall mud. You may have to sand it when its dry to match better.