Plaster repair ?

Old 09-07-05, 12:49 PM
fatlip
Visiting Guest
Plaster repair ?

Hello, this is my first post and any help would be great.

I have 3 bad spots in my ceilings from water damage, that was done from poor plumbing of a air handler in my attic.The company that did this wants to repair it with sheet rock, is this ok with plaster walls? The worst area is in the kitchen, its 4ft by 1ft and is pulling away from the ceiling. The other 2 spots are in the bed room and are 1ft by 1ft. The house was built in 1959 and the plaster is in great condition other than these bad spots.

Any info would be great and thanks,

Rick S

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-05, 07:33 PM
I would let them fix it with the drywall. Make it perfectly clear that you want an undetectable repair, and be extra clear on how you will determine that the repair is undetectable[you don't want to see anything but smooth transition from old to new].

It is a pretty simple matter to make an undetectable repair,but not everybody can do it.You do not want to be looking at this guys handy work forever. You also do not want the repair to fail in a year or 2[tape pealing etc]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=undetectable

Completely undetectable is better and very doable, even by an a.c. man that knows what he is doing.

Old 09-07-05, 07:45 PM
Painterman
Visiting Guest
Plaster repair

Rick;
Hi, I have a couple of questions to try to figure out the extent of damage:
1: Is the plaster cracked or is it expelling lime? ( White powdery bubbles or
deposits).
2. Is the "Brown coat" Failing (this is the rough base coat that is applied
before plaster).
I'll need this info to determine the next step.

I wouldn't use wall board for patches in plaster (at least not for small patches), it expands and contracts
at a different rate and will show over time.

~Painterman

Old 09-07-05, 09:17 PM
I was curios about paintermans reply so I did some searching, and it seems that there are more than 1 method to repair damage of this nature. I believe he is correct that there is a possibility of the repair failing due to different expansion and contraction rates.

I think the chances can be minimized by using setting compound rather than drywall mud,and even a repair with plaster that is not of the exact same formula will be more likely to fail than one made of the exact same plaster,maybe not though

If it was my house and I was getting the repair done[by someone else] I think Iwould want the plaster rather than the drywall. A 1or 2 yr guarantee is nothing. I do think that if it will crack it will happen sooner rather than later though.If the contractor can't do it he should get someone who can.

Here is a link that sort of agrees with me. It is on another site that took their info from the U.S. General Services Administration Historic Preservation Technical Procedures. Most sites run by people that do plaster do not agree. I have done plaster repairs with drywall and setting compound with good results.

Old 09-08-05, 01:43 PM
fatlip
Visiting Guest
plaster repair ?

Originally Posted by Painterman
Rick;
Hi, I have a couple of questions to try to figure out the extent of damage:
1: Is the plaster cracked or is it expelling lime? ( White powdery bubbles or
deposits).
2. Is the "Brown coat" Failing (this is the rough base coat that is applied
before plaster).
I'll need this info to determine the next step.

I wouldn't use wall board for patches in plaster (at least not for small patches), it expands and contracts
at a different rate and will show over time.

~Painterman
They damage is getting allot worse. It is allot of cracks going in all directions and is about 4ft by 3 ft now and getting worse. The plaster is dropping down about 2in and will be falling soon. I don't see any powder or bubbles just allot of cracks. I cant tell of the brown plaster is failing because the drooping plaster is still hanging on.

I have fixed a water damage spot before it was 1ft by 1ft and was easy to do and was done with plaster. I could fix this also but they did the damage and should fix it, they just want to do it with dry wall and im not so sure thats the right fix. This is a custom built home and the plaster is in great shape but for the 3 spots they messed up.
We plan on retiring here so I want it done right so I don't have to do it over the second time, gives me more time to fix other things.
Hope the info helps on what I should do.
Thanks,
Rick S

Last edited by fatlip; 09-08-05 at 01:44 PM. Reason: TYPE O
Old 09-26-05, 10:33 AM
tomsawyer
Visiting Guest
patch & Skimcoat

Sounds like you will need to skim coat the entire area.
If its cracking, it may be loose plaster. Have them patch with a good plaster, and use sheets of mesh over the patched area, and a few layers of light weight topping. (not joint compound) Some thing like plus 3 by USG (in a blue top container).
This will keep the cracks from opening up, and reinforce the loose plaster, and provide a smooth like new surface.