hanging drywall - screw question

Old 09-26-05, 07:09 AM
hanging drywall - screw question

I hope to be hanging sheetrock in my basement this week.
My brother-in-law is going to hang it and finish it for me; he used to work on a sheet rocking crew years ago, and says he can knock out what I’ve got in no time.

I have one question about the drywall screws.
He told me to buy at least 1-1/2 long screws, I think all we need is 1” or 1-1/4” long screws at the most.

What is the standard length drywall screw when hanging ½” thick sheetrock?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 08:59 AM
I am comfortable with 1 1/4 coarse thread[important]. The screw no matter what size is not coming out of the wood imo. Nails come out screws don't. It is more important to use the required screw spacing..

That being said get the 1 1/2 inch like he wants. In case there is a prob it will not be your fault.The depth that the screw holds at is not reall 3/4+ you only count the part of the shaft that is the full diameter.So in theory you should use a 1 1/2 if you want to have penetration into the wood that is greater than the thickness of the drywall. I think!!!

Use the required amount of screws[and a screw gun] and you won't have a problem.

Old 09-26-05, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yhe most important thing to remember when hanging rock with screws is not to penatrate the paper surface. If the screw head goes through the paper it has no holding power. Your brother in-law probably already knows this - just a reminder