Will spackle stick to metal surface?

Old 09-26-05, 04:04 PM
rssmps
Visiting Guest
Will spackle stick to metal surface?

Hi,
Got a question regarding spackle/plaster and the surface that it will stick to.

I have a window above the shower/tub. The shower walls extends up to about 4~5 in. below the window sill. The top 1 in of it started to show signs of rust coming through. I sanded that part off and found that the window sill is actually covered by some type of metal and that's what was rusting. I found this very odd....why would there be metal in a high moisture area?

also, the dry wall from the top of the shower does not extend up to the sill but ends where the metal is. So the metal and the dry wall is flush vertically. I guess the builder just spackled over the last inch and the horizontal part of the sill.

I'm planning to sell the house soon so I don't want to force the new owners into tiles that I like.

I guess my question is will the spacle stick the the metal surface? does it have to be absolutely clean of rust or will some rust be ok?
should I use a rustoleum primer over the metal first and then put spacle over it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

It should be ok. I would oil prime the metal after sanding. When the repair is finished prime again.

Old 09-26-05, 09:33 PM
rssmps
Visiting Guest
marksr,

Glad I found these forums.....the home depot "experts" I talked to really knew nothing beyond where the products were located.

Is there a brand of oil primer that you would suggest?
you said when the repair is finished, you mean prime over the dried spackle right? is there some kind of sealant that I should put over the spackle to further resist the moisture?

Thanks!

Old 09-27-05, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most any oil base primer will work. I often use kilz because it is cheap and effective although there are better primers on the market. I would prime the metal first - to stop the rust and then after the repair is finished prime again to seal it from moisture. You can use the same primer for both.